Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Everybody's Doing It. Are You?

Are you doing NaNoWriMo?

NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month, and every year thousands--yes, thousands--of writers participate. Young, old. Published, unpublished. Newbie, veteran. It doesn't matter. The rules are the same for everyone.

What are they?

Simple.

Write 50,000 words in one month, starting on November 1 and finishing on November 30 (which is roughly 1700 words per day)

This can be tough for some people, and a snap for others. I've done it before and while I have made the 50,000 word goal some years, I've failed (miserably) in other years.

The trick is to keep writing. Don't edit. Don't second guess yourself, your story, your characters goals, motivation or conflict. Just write. Get it all out on the page. Recognize and accept the fact that what you're left with at the end of the month is likely to be utter crap, but that at least it will be something you can work to fix in December (and probably January).

I'm not "technically" doing NaNoWriMo this year (first time in a while) but only because I'm expecting some edits to roll in any day. However, until those edits come down the shoot, I will be writing as much as I can. I'm working on the steampunk sequel to FAR FROM BROKEN, and so far the first day of my NotQuiteNaNo went well. 

How about you? Are you doing it?

Also, head on over to The Romance Reviews. In November, they are holding a fabulous contest with tons of prizes, including some stuff from...me! :)


0 comments: