Monday, April 26, 2010

GUEST AUTHOR: Robie Madison

I'd like to welcome a friend and fellow TRW author, Robie Madison to the blog today! I "grilled" Robie on her new book, Getting It All, available now from Ellora's Cave, and this is what she had to say:

1. Getting it All sounds like a wonderful reunion story. Readers usually have a favourite genre or trope that they enjoy reading, but that can sometimes be said for writers as well. Do you think you have a favourite type of story to write? If so, what is it and why? The reunion? The beauty and the beast storyline? Star-crossed lovers?

Getting It All was a great story to write because it gave me an opportunity to continue my exploration of second chance at love stories. It’s been a wonderful challenge to see how three sets of couples work through their past issues to reconnect. Am I on a roll? Well, I do have a couple of second chance at love story ideas I’m working on.

I was also able to indulge my fascination with Fairy Tales, since Getting It All is a modern take on Cinderella. This is my second Fairy Tale redo—the first was The Man of Her Dreams, which retells The Little Mermaid, only with a happy ending.

As you can see, JK, I like revisiting themes and exploring new ones.

2. What kind of character is Ryan McGregor? Why did he become a television sportscaster and does he like his job?

Ryan McGregor is good looking, outgoing and naturally popular. But, that doesn’t mean he’s shallow or narcissistic. A born leader, he makes his own decisions and chooses his own friends. At thirty-three, he’s also had some hard hitting life lessons that have made him reevaluate his priorities.

Ryan loves his job, which combines his passion for sports with the adrenaline rush of playing to a crowd that he thrives on. He feels very fortunate to have had a wonderful mentor, his best friend’s uncle, who is a popular news anchor and alumnus of Ryan’s high school, who encouraged him to go for his dream job.

3. On the flip side, what about Celeste? What makes her the person she’s become today?

Celeste Richards Holmes is a spunky survivor. She broke away from a bigoted, chauvinistic father to marry a construction worker who encouraged her goal of becoming an engineer. But it’s her pragmatic nature that enables her to juggle a career and single parenthood to rambunctious twin boys—a role she assumed seven years ago after her husband was killed in an onsite accident.

Celeste believes she’s happy and content with her life, even though she still wears her dead husband’s shirts. Then she receives an invitation to her high school reunion…

4. What was your favourite part about writing this book?

Getting It All is the third book in the Heartbreak Anonymous series, so definitely one of my favourite scenes to write was the Prologue, where I had a chance to catch up with Wyatt James and Celeste’s big brother Zach from Gay Paris.


My overall favourite part about writing this story? Charting Celeste’s transformation into a super sexy woman who goes after what—or should I say who she wants.

5. What can we look forward to seeing from you in the near future?


My new office. LOL Seriously, JK, I’m teaching an online course in May and then moving in June. We’re downsizing, but my office will be an upsize. So, I’m really looking forward to organizing my new and improved work space.

Meanwhile, Ryan McGregor’s cousin is stuck in an elevator with a woman wearing a red power suit. And I have a dragon-shifter and a (mostly) human heroine intent on saving the world. Stay tuned.

To learn more about Robie Madison, visit her website at: http://www.robiemadison.com/


Blurb

Getting It All

Celeste Holmes might be a feisty survivor, yet seven years after his death, she’s still wearing her husband’s shirts. But all that’s about to change. Take one invitation to a high school reunion. Throw in a full day-spa treatment and a whole new wardrobe. And a sexy, sultry Celeste is ready to show Mr. High School Hottie just what he missed fifteen years ago. That is, until she decides she’s the one who missed out and makes a no-strings proposition of her own.

Popular TV sportscaster Ryan McGregor has spent the past fifteen years regretting the loss of his friendship with Celeste and what might have been. Now that he’s found her again, he’s not interested in a one-weekend stand. Using every seduction technique in his arsenal, he’s determined to claim her.

4 comments:

Natasha A. said...

OH! This looks yummy!!! Thanks for having Robie over JK! Always a pleasure to find new authors!!

Robie Madison said...

Thanks, Natasha, I had a lot of fun writing this reunion story. :)

Robie Madison said...

Thanks for letting me come and chat with you about my latest Heartbreak Anonymous story, JK.

J.K. Coi said...

Thanks for coming to chat about Getting it All, Robie! I can't wait to pick up the book.