Thursday, June 28, 2012

Brave *Beware of Spoilers*

 
I saw this movie yesterday. It wasn't what I was expecting from a "Disney Princess" movie.

I think I've been conditioned to expect certain things from these movies, but there was no handsome prince, and no star-crossed romance. There was no evil queen to fight.

It was just about a girl who needs to do some growing up, and a mother who needs to let her daughter be young for a while longer. Even the "danger" isn't true evil, but a misunderstood soul needing some help to find his way home. (It was actually a lot like another Disney movie -- Brother Bear -- but we won't get into that here)

The one thing that was refreshing, is that the plot didn't have to rely on a love interest to draw movie-goers.Sure, the romance is what we want in most of our movies (that and brain eating zombies or lots of explosions), but I think it's important for kids to see something that's not about that. I want my son (and many nieces) to be themselves before they're someone's "significant other" and find their path before walking it with a mate.

Ok, but enough about the messages and lessons, the best part was the trailer for this movie!

0 comments: