Wednesday, August 20, 2008

LOL

It does seem that we've all become a little too familiar with the rampant acronyms that have become commonplace on the internet. As a writer, I can't help but cringe when I see them, and yet I still find myself using them, especially the most popular "LOL". But my husband teaches high school and I've seen some of the texting that goes on with the younger crowd (feel old yet?). It looks more like secret code from NASA than a conversation between sixteen year olds about where to meet for lunch...It's amazing that they can remember what all these terms mean, when these are the same kids who can't remember what they learned in history class from one day to the next.

What drives you nuts about life in this growing online community?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't text. My fingers are too fat. I make so many mistakes on a regular sized keyboard, LOL. But I'm all for communication, no matter how truncated or misspelled. And I seem to be addicted to LOL, LOL.

Terri Osburn said...

I admit, I probably need an LOL intervention. I knew it was getting bad when I wrote it in my journal. I wasn't even thinking and it just flowed right out of the pen. Scary.

I don't like to text and I don't get most of the text shorthand. Someone sent me an email last week that started with Oic and I thought he was making some unmanly-like noise. Then I realized it meant "Oh, I see." Silly me.

I figure if the person is using a phone to text me then here's a novel idea - JUST CALL ME! IT'S A FLIPPIN PHONE!

Sorry, this sort of irritates me.

J.K. Coi said...

Maggie, I've never texted in my life. I'm with Terri on this one. If you've got the phone in your hand, just freakin' call me already.

Elyssa Papa said...

OMG. I text all the time during work hours. I'm able to check my e-mail and surf on the net too via my little Blackberry Pearl. I luvs it.

Just call me an addict. *g*

J.K. Coi said...

Ely, I've never had a cell phone, so that's part of the reason why I just can't get used to the idea of them being so multi-functional I guess.

It's cool to think about all the things you can do with them, but at the same time, I kind of start thinking it's a cash grab. I mean with every new application on your cell phone, don't you pay more and more money? Of course, like I said I've never owned one, so I could be wrong, but I'm also cheap...

Anonymous said...

OMG! I remember when all this started back in the early 90s when we use to chat using our hyperterminal connections to connect to the internet and telnet. Aaaah... good times... Hahaha!

J.K. Coi said...

Tempest, this YouTube bit is from a Canadian TV show here called This Hour Has 22 Minutes, which is hilarious! Lots of political comedy and they do a great job making fun of just about everything! My other favourite along the same lines is called The Rick Mercer Report.