Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Book Recommendations

I've read a few books already this new year, so I thought I'd offer my recommendations:

Demon's Hunger, Eve Silver

The Compact of Sorcerers, a brotherhood sworn to protect the wall between the human and demon realms, is thrust into battle with an unseen evil that threatens to destroy them all...

Forensic anthropologist Vivien Cairn fears she's losing her mind. Her libido has kicked into overdrive, and she's blacking out, leaving hours of her life unaccounted for and no memory of where she's been or what she's done. But when a sexy stranger rescues her from a demon attack, Vivien realizes there's more than just her sanity at stake.

A seductive killer is luring victims, and Sorcerer Dain Hawkins finds himself walking a dangerous line between ancient duty and sizzling desire when the brotherhood--and Vivien herself--begins to suspect that her mysterious symptoms may connect her to the crimes. Can Dain save Vivien from the evil that threatens to claim her? Or will they both succumb to...


This was my only "traditional" read so far this year (and by that I mean non-ebook). A dark and sexy paranormal that grabs you right from the beginning. I've never been disappointed by Ms. Silver's books and this was no excepion to that rule.

Love Partner, Robie Madison

Seventy-seven Dakokatan Outposters are stranded on a hostile planet, and Warlord Judan Ringa is desperate to reach them before more die. He appeals to the Technikon Laboratories Consortium for aid, seeking the one scientist who can save his people. But his first meeting with Dr. Myrina deCarte stuns him.

She's human. Yet she's his genetically coded mate.

Orphaned at an early age, Myrina knows nothing about her past. All she has now are her job and her friends at TLC. That is until she meets a tall, green-skinned man who literally electrifies her from head to toe - and who insists they have a future together. Yet after years of yearning to be wanted, she's about to discover that it isn't enough. She believes in love, a word that isn't part of the Dakokatan lexicon.

Determined to overcome their cultural barriers, Judan sets out to teach Myrina the customs and rituals between Dakokatan mates, both inside the bedroom and out. And along the way, she teaches him what it means to be human.


This was my first Robie Madison book, and one of my first science fiction books in a long while. Ms. Madison's characters were true, with great depth. The storyline was fabulous, and the world she created was impressive and believable without being too convoluted. It was still a romance at the core, with the relationship taking front and centre. I'll look forward to reading other books from her.

Ask Adam, Jess Dee

Lexi Tanner’s got a major problem: AJ Riley, the man she’s about to approach for a hefty donation, turns out to be the stranger she shared a night of steamy sex with less than a week past. She’ll do anything to raise money for a children’s charity—anything except sell herself. Now how can she ask AJ for money without it seeming like he’s paying for sexual favors?

If there’s one thing the past has taught Adam “AJ” Riley, it’s that loving someone can only lead to pain. He knows he shouldn’t feel so attracted to Lexi, and he definitely shouldn’t trust a woman who’d sleep with a man one week and approach him for money the next. Yet somehow Lexi breaks through all his barriers. His instincts tell him to run but his heart wants to give Lexi—and love—a second chance. How can he let go of his tragic past and still protect his battered heart?


Jess Dee was a new-to-me author as well, and I picked this book at random, just because I was looking for a good contemporary to download. It's been a while since I've read a straight contemporary. I wasn't disappointed. This book was wonderful. Lexie was refreshing in her lack of inhibition (while not coming off as simply slutty), and I loved the character of AJ Riley, who surprised me with his depth of feeling. I also liked their penchant for elevators. :)

Coming soon: Anna Campbell's Tempt the Devil and Lara Adrian's Veil of Midnight

Also, join me tomorrow for my next guest author: Renee Wildes

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will have to give some of these a look. I have heard of Eve Silver and Jess Dee both of which I have been wanting to sample!

Wylie Kinson said...

Looks like a diverse line-up so far JK. I think this is the first year in For-Evah I haven't kicked off the new year with a book. I rec'd Nelson DeMille's Gate House for Xmas (he's one of my fave authors) and haven't even cracked it yet. So sad :(
Next week - for sure!

J.K. Coi said...

Hi Tasha, hi Wylie!
There are quite a few books I'm really looking forward to this year and I'm sure I'll be surprised by many new authors as well. It's kind of exciting, isn't it? Or is that just me being pathetic again?

Anonymous said...

Nope! Exciting!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your generous comments, JK, which made a great start to my New Year!

Of course your efforts also remind me of the stack of TBR books beside my bed, on my dresser and, heck, yes, under the bed. LOL

J.K. Coi said...

Hi Robie!
I still have quite a stack of tbr books waiting to be read, and I want to try and get to them before I get too busy with my own books again. For me, reading is just as important as writing. Not only because I love to read, but I also like to stay on top of what’s out there.

Amy Ruttan said...

I loved Demon's Hunger.

Jess Dee said...

Hi JK
Just popped in to check emails,and had to say thank you!
I love your thoughts on Ask Adam.
:)
Jess