Monday, January 05, 2009

GUEST AUTHOR: Christine D'Abo

I’ve always loved the idea of second chances. I think that’s why New Year’s celebrations have always held a special place for me. Not that I go nuts with the creation of resolution lists. And very rarely, do I ever actually tell anyone what I’m going to try to do differently, if I’ve actually made one. For me the resolution is too high level, too BIG for me to actually feel like I can properly commit to them. But I need a kick like that, something to get me going in the right direction. I need goals!

Fresh starts, the ability to change something about yourself, that is the magic of a new year, new month, heck, new day! Do we all get that opportunity? Sure we do! The question is, whether or not we take advantage of it.

As a writer, I have the opportunity to play around with the idea of giving my characters second (third, sometimes fourth) chances to make their lives better. It’s a way for me to accomplish those things in life I’d love to try, but haven’t quite managed to get there myself. Sure, I’d like to lose some weight, get a new wardrobe, maybe have a bit less stress in my life. But chances are I’m either unable (or unwilling), to do what I need to, to make things happen.

I wish I had a Fairy Godmother, or Aladdin’s magic lamp to get a few of those wishes checked off my list. Why go to the gym, when I can simply get that magic wand bashed over my head! I like that idea…really wish I had one.

Instead, I have to set goals for myself. My friends usually laugh at me a bit, because my New Year Goal Sheet looks a bit insane. I need to have it though, or else I wander around aimlessly. Last year, I think I managed to get most of the things check off—I even lost the 10 lbs I wanted! This year, I’ll do the same.

But it would be easier to have a Fairy Godmother…


Christine’s newest release, All Bottled Up, tells the story of a call center worker who stumbled across a genie in a bottle. She is given a second chance to make a first impression on her boss, hopefully to win his heart. What she doesn’t count on, is falling in love with her teacher—a three thousand year old genie.

You can check out All Bottle Up, at Samhain Publishing.
http://samhainpublishing.com/coming/all-bottled-up

8 comments:

J.K. Coi said...

Hi Christine!
So now that I've got you here for a while...tell me, what gave you the inspiration for this new book? Can I take a stab and guess it's about second chances?

Margay Leah Justice said...

Hi, Christine, I'm with you on the whole resolution thing. I believe we set ourselves up for failure and disappointment by making them. So much better to set goals instead. I also believe in second chances and like to read about them - especially when they come with a twist like yours. Best of luck with the book!

Margay Leah Justice
http://margayleahjustice.com

Wylie Kinson said...

Christine!!!
Your new release looks FAB-U-LOUS and I can't wait to read it :)
I'd love a few do-overs in life... now I just need to get me a hot genie. LOL

I make resolutions and goals interchangeable, and yes, I horribly fail at most of them - for one reason or another (see Bonnie's weekly list of excuses *hee*) - but if you don't keep making them, isn't that the same as giving up?

Unknown said...

Hello Margay! Thank you so much. I love goals, because you can work with them. Adjustments are really important and it helps to keep things flexible. Plus, when you accomplish your goal, you can always set new ones. Moving forward is really important. :)

Unknown said...

Wylie! Thank you, hon. And yes, sometimes the making of the goal/resolution can be just as important as actually doing them. Because making the attempt means you are still trying. Eventually, we'll get there. :)

HUGS!

Shelley Munro said...

I'm looking forward to your new book, too. I LOVE this cover. I never make resolutions but make the odd goal or two. I always keep them in my head, despite people saying you should write them down. Mine are usually short-term ones. I wake up one morning and think, yes, this is what I want/need to do and set about aiming for it.

Good luck with All Bottled Up.

J.K. Coi said...

Hi Shelley, Christine did get an awesome cover, didn't she?

J.K. Coi said...

Thanks for being my guest today, Christine!